Friday, April 18, 2014

Women in Power

My roommate recently gave me a book that I think is a great second chapter to the movie that we watched in class this past week. The book is called "Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead," by Sheryl Sandberg. It is all about women in power and how to represent yourself in a way that people will respect you. She talks about how women can have it all and have a successful working life and family life with the correct balance. She is the kind of feminist who paves the way for younger generations to become successful in their work of choice. She acknowledges that while men still run this country that women, like her, are beginning to make a dent in those statistics. I just feel this book is encouraging and supportive of all the things we have learned in this course of the past semester. Being a feminist comes in many forms and seeing positive role models is essential for young women around the country. As a woman, we can either live with the barrier of being a woman or we can learn to use this to our advantage.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! This books sounds like an interesting read. I would have to agree, we as a society need to start respecting women, and with that comes a respect of women in all parts of society. Whether a mom, business women, teacher, CEO, or a woman running for president. I hope one day we as a society will get to a place where women don't feel like that have to change who they are to fit this so called "ideal" women or what other people expect them to be like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot about Lean In but I've never read it myself. From what I've heard though it's really great. I appreciated when you said, "we can either live with the barrier of being a woman or we can learn to use this to our advantage." I think this is a very wise recognition of reality. Often, the things were learn in these classes are difficult to stomach and we don't necessarily see an end in sight, especially with some of the more awful things we learn about. I like how you recognize that now it is what you do with the information that shapes your future. You can either continue to feel limited and repressed or move forward and work towards liberation. It is definitely a personal choice.

    ReplyDelete