Friday, April 4, 2014

Abortion in tv

In a recent episode of Downton Abbey, many were upset over the "pro-life" views portrayed in the show. However, this was not really a pro-life portrayal opinion. Lady Edith went into the clinic and was upset thinking it over about how she would be killing the baby of a man that she loved and heard a woman crying next to her. As we read in "My abortion" by Meghean Winters, getting an abortion is a very difficult procedure on women in many ways. In every story that we read we saw the emotional distress and unsureness in the women before, during, and after the procedure. It is not something that just gets done and we are able to completely forget about. People need to stop trying to make conflict out of things such as the Downton Abbey episode when it is really only showing the reality of an abortion, where as many shows lie about the process of abortions. It is important for the truth to be shown about abortions, both positive and negative.

http://entertainment.time.com/2014/02/10/downton-abbey-pro-life-abortion/

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this article. I find it extremely comical that people are so focused on issues that happen in popular television shows as opposed to real life. I feel like we live in a time period where what we watch on tv, whether reality or not, controls our lives. I feel like people need to just appreciate the show for what it is rather than trying to criticize a tv character or their action when they aren't actually real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you are staying in your post. After having read those articles in class about abortions, they made me feel sympathy for the women in those positions. Though, I have not see the tv show Downtown abbey I can see you point you are saying. The truth should be shown for people put there who don't know what abortions are really like. The more information the more it will spread and more will become familiar with the real process of an abortion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First if all I am a HUGE Downtown Abbey fan and saw the recent episode. I believe the episode did a great job of exemplifying the traumatic process abortions were, and may still be. I believe the article is correct when it discusses the struggles Edith has on whether she alone can handle to pressures from society for her to have a baby unmarried. I think the show is actually pointing out a bigger problem, the pressures for young women to fit the status quo despite their own personal feelings. Edith her self wants to keep the baby but is terrified of others reaction. This being said, I do wish the show or any other show, would at least once go on with a story of a girl who does receive an abortion. I have yet to see one show on t.v. where the women or girl does not change her mind at the last minute not to get an abortion, if she ever considers one. I believe if the media were to show the struggles of a woman who receives an abortion, getting an abortion would become more accepted. The truth is several people do receive abortions but you would never know based on how the media portrays them.

    ReplyDelete