Friday, April 18, 2014

How can we save our girls?

"Wait until you get into the real world?" said Hannah. I have to agree. My parents still tell me that and I am 25 years old. This illusion that girls and boys are not aware of their surroundings. I see my little cousins, nephew and baby sister and they show me in every way how they pick up on societies gender roles and the awareness around them. 

"Ignorance is bliss." But was it ever? In the article, Beauty Whitewashed: How White Ideals Exclude Women of Color, stated thatV exposure significantly influenced the belief that their classmates expected them to be larger. In other words, the larger girls in the group assumed their classmates thought they were too fat, while the smaller girls assumed their classmates thought they were too skinny. 

Also, girls of color are fighting amongst themselves to be lighter. We have seen that whitewashing is destroying cultures and making people become "colorblind" or as I put, culturally ignorant. If you don't see color its a way of saying I don't see your history, I don't see what molded you as a person. 

If we don't educate our girls to know their bodies, teach them who they are and what they can become, and create this environment for them to say,"I have a question." "Your the only person I can go too." And not shun them away. We are only killing ourselves and our future generation will drown. So please figure out a way you can save our girls? 

No comments:

Post a Comment