Saturday, April 5, 2014

Killing Me Softly

I was sad to have missed Miles' lead discussion on the "Killing of the Black Bodies." I am partially sad but yet I am relieved. I'm not going to lie. I couldn't finish the reading because everything I went through in my life was on that paper and I don't know how I can easily go through life after reading through that paper. Everything hit home, especially the way men interact with black women differently than other women.
"Black women are known to be hypersexual." "It's expected of them to be that way." "They don't know any better and they shouldn't multiply." "Our tax dollars are providing their lifestyles." These are multiple phases I heard my whole life.
I will never forget the day I was sitting at a table with my friends at a restaurant. This white male came up to my white friend and said hello, how was your day, and gave a simple hug. He went to my other friend and did the same. Then he came to me and looked at me up and down. I laughed because he looked ridiculous and I knew something stereotypical was going to come out of his mouth. Then he states, "My dick is as big as a black's man."
"REALLY!! What does that have to do with me? And why do I need to know that?" I replied. It's nothing new. I am used to guys, no matter the ethnicity, to talk to me as if sex is the only thing on my mind. Sorry to say that I just push that role away because I am too tired of fighting the battle every time I encounter it.
A huge circle of myths that embodied me and I don't know what to do. Keep my head up and act like none of this hurt me or fall into the traps of fulfilling the stereotypes/myths.
This just shows that we have a long way to go. Some people feel like this is a poverty problem, some people feel like it's a "black people" problem, but it should be seen as an issue for all women. It's just more emphasized within the black communities.
I know that I am suppose to find an outside source but I feel like my life experiences and my daily struggle is good enough of a source for this reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment