Friday, April 25, 2014

Reclaiming Housewifery

This week we talked in depth about women's role in the home, the workforce, as well as balancing the two. The idea that women can "have it all" is somewhat controversial. Many women strive to balance a full time job as well as parent and maintain a household. When confronted with all of these roles they often find themselves being forced to work a "second shift." The text defines this as when women are "employed outside the home [and] still carry major responsibility for housework and raising children." (p. 313) Having it all is a difficult thing to do. So what about housewives? While browsing the internet I ran across this blog written by a women who is advocating for housewifery. She asks, "What could possibly be more feminist than to embrace the natural female quality of nurture?" While I do have problems with that particular statement, she does make some interesting points as far as recognizing the stigma that feminists often place on stay at home moms. The text defines this sort of work of "unproductive"  because it is unpaid and "unproductive to the economy." (p. 311) Its an interesting blog with a few conflicting ideas. Read it through and share what you think!

4 comments:

  1. I think the blog is very interesting at addressing a sort of opposing view of this “housewifery” role. I do agree with some of the points she makes throughout her article; however, I agree with your point about her addressing this sort of oppression as the “natural female quality of nurture”. Also, I very much so disagree with the blogger’s description of becoming a mother while giving up a career as “honor[ing] her biological role as a mother”. In my opinion, views like this are linked to class discussion regarding females in political positions. They are often scrutinized more so by other females rather than males. This statement that she made, downplays on this idea that women are made to be stay-at-home wives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post! I agree, I think that "having it all" is a societally imposed standard. We have declared that having it all means balancing family life, a career, and housework, simultaneously deeming this as the definition of being a woman. What if a woman doesn't want a family? What if a woman just wants to be home and care for her family? This "having it all" mentality removes a group of women from the discussion in a potentially damaging way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I was thinking the exact thing during class the other day. I think that we focused so much on successful women as the professional one who does paid work. But, my question was, what about the women who want to be successful housewives? Does that not count as paid work? I mean it might not be paid in the sense of money but it could be seen as paid in the sense of saving, of healthy development for their children, of a good relationship with her husband that then will give him a less stressful life to help with work. Personally, I think that if a women wants to stay at home and take care of her children, husband, and house, then she should be respected and should not have to see it as wasting her talents and skills. I agree with everything we discussed in class but this was the only thing I was a little worried about. I want to be a successful woman but also a successful mom and wife, and if stressing out or prioritizing my family will affect my work life, then I am ok with that. I guess it all comes down to that person so it is difficult to say what should be done about this issue. I really liked your blog!

    ReplyDelete