Friday, April 4, 2014

Kentucky Taking Action

So while pondering on what to write about for this topic. I googled a few things about reproductive freedom that had interested me from the reading by Allison Crew titled, And So I Chose. This topic is particularly sensitive topic for women all over the country and I can't help but wonder what would happen if I ever need such services. I found an organization based in Kentucky who's mission is to raise awareness of reproductive freedom for the state of Kentucky and have been lobbying for this cause for many years. This organization is called, American's Civil Liberties Union of Kentucky and they have started a program called The Reproductive Freedom Project. What I like about this project is that it seems to start at the surface level with grassroots movements and climbs its way up the government ladder. Their main goal is not only to change policies but to educate many groups of people of the disparities of this topic. One of their public education tactics is called "Talking About Abortions," which in my opinion does not happen quite enough. As a 22 year old girl in college, as I am sure many have wondered, what would you do if you got pregnant at a time in which it was not planned. Where would you go? What is the process.. etc. Even now in my last year of college I cannot answer the basic abortion questions or know where I would go for help or information. I can imagine there are thousands of girls just like me who just are uneducated on this subject. I think one of the best ways to make a difference and hopefully make a change would be to education young people about this subject. Young teenagers, girls and boys alike, should know what the process is, what are regulations and how to seek support. This will not only educate them but prepare them for if something were to happen unplanned. Sadly, Allison Crew was forced into this situation having a pro-life mother but getting pregnant in her sophomore year of high school. She did not have the support she needed to make the crucial decision about her child. I would hope that this problem changes for the future generations to come and people may have the resources readily available. Kentucky I think is a great example of what other states should be doing. Activist groups should focus their attention on younger generations as well as government bodies. I think this topic can be very personal and it would benefit thousands of people around the country if women would speak up and talk about this private issue more. But as I am not one of these girls who have gone through it I cannot say how hard or private it might be.

For more information on this project the link is posted below.
http://www.aclu-ky.org/article/reproductive-freedom/


No comments:

Post a Comment