Friday, February 7, 2014

Inspirational

Service-learning projects is defined as a teaching and learning approach that integrates service to the community with academic study to enrich learning, teach civic responsibility and strengthen communities, according to Pacific Daily News files. (Aoki,3) The article describes how service-learning projects are inspirational in helping mold people to be better and helpful in some kind of way.

Young Women's Leadership Academy
Fort Worth ISD  Crescent 
I love doing hands on work that relates to my studies because it helps me put the pieces together, get great ideas on how I can make a change, and better myself as a person. Student from the Young Women's Leadership Academy (YWLA) came to Texas Christian University on Wednesday during our class period. The young women blew me away. They are focus, ambitious, and aware of their surroundings. I asked if they liked being in a single sex education setting and they said it was different but they love it. “We get a whole lot of work done and we known each other since sixth grade so it’s a small group of us. If somebody says something in the morning we all know by lunch time,” said Shelby. I wondered if they felt weird around boys or anything. “No, not really. I know a lot of boys from my community so it’s nothing,” said Hannah.

I have to admit. I was envious of them because they are focus and I was in a coed public school where boys were annoying and slowed down the pace of the classroom with their spontaneous outbursts. These females motivated me to want to be a better student and I feel confidant knowing not all of the future generation people following me is going to destroy the world. “An important first step in understanding difference is to admit whatever feelings we might have about those we perceive as different.” (Trigg and Ballit, 8)


“The program’s by-laws seek to foster diversity within the women’s studies community by ensuring the presence of underrepresented groups in the governance structure of the program.” (Trigg and Ballit, 10) It made me proud as a Hershey complexion American to see intellectual and motivated Hershey complexion girls working to better themselves even though the world stigmatizes us as something opposite. The YWLA young women encourage me that even though the journey is rough, we still progress as women and of color. 

1 comment:

  1. I observed many interesting conversations between TCU and YWLA students this past week. I'm glad you talked with your students about what it is like at an SSE school. Barbara also discussed her time with the YWLA students in her post. I'm happy to see that you both included their input on our blog!

    ReplyDelete