Friday, February 28, 2014

Facebook Adds New Gender Options

In continuing our conversation about gender issues, I've found an article that addresses Facebook's decision to add new gender options. If you haven't already heard of this change it's a really cool and progressive choice by Facebook to add over 50 new gender options to their site. These gender options include intersex, androgynous, trans, and more. I found this to be very applicable to the readings we looked at this week. Specifically, I though of Leslie Feinberg's We Are All Works in Progress. In the article, Feinberg says that another movement is sweeping onto the stage of history: Trans liberation. Sie says "We are again raising questions about the societal treatment of people based on their sex and gender expression." (pg. 167) To me it seems that Facebook is taking part in the Trans liberation movement by providing everyone with the opportunity to fully express who they are on their profile.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/13/facebook-gender_n_4782477.html

2 comments:

  1. I was impressed by the folks at Facebook who decided to do this. There has been quite a bit of pushback, but many people are celebrating the new options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a fantastic idea by Facebook! I had never considered how difficult it might be for Facebook users to have to identify themselves. However, now that the idea is brought to my attention I wish it had been done sooner. Some one’s Facebook profile is a huge identifier of who they are and why not give them the option to express themselves? I believe my age group as whole often takes advantage as some one’s Facebook profile to get an idea of whom someone is before meeting them, if given the opportunity. I believe if someone wishes for people to know how they identify them selves based on their gender it could be very useful to someone new to meeting them. I see no realistic objection to this change because honestly if you don’t want to see it you don’t have to. No one is forcing you to become “friends” with someone who does not accept the basic male/ female identifiers. Therefore, it causes you no harm for them to choose to identify in such a way over social media. I particularly liked how it had changed the birthday greeting option on Facebook to, “wish them happy birthday.” Instead of wish him/her happy birthday. The gender option seems like a great way for Facebook to allow others to express them.

    ReplyDelete